Real Bride: Summers N.
From the bride: On October 2nd, Sam’s birthday, I planned a nice dinner at a quaint and trendy restaurant in Church Hill nearby to celebrate. After dinner, we returned home where Sam opened his gifts. After all were opened, he said “well, I didn’t get everything I wanted…I really wanted M&Ms” and since we love M&Ms I wasn’t surprised although disappointed in myself for not getting them. “Luckily,” Sam said, “I bought some earlier this week and hid them so you wouldn’t eat them” (not surprising, either!). Sam pointed to where the M&Ms were and I brought them over to open. As they poured in my hand, I realized all of them were pink and red…and then I realized some of them said “will you” and others said “marry me?” And then! Others had little tiny pictures of ourselves. By the time I had registered what the M&Ms said, Sam was already down on his knee with a ring and asked if I would marry him. I was so surprised that all I could say over and over again was, “Are you kidding?! Is this really happening?! Wait, are you really serious?!” At some point, Sam said “um, should I be worried? You still haven’t said ‘yes’!” I of course said ‘yes’ and then Sam said, “well, I should probably put this ring on your finger then!” so I dumped the M&Ms I had in my hand all over the couch so Sam could make it official.
Because the M&Ms were a part of our engagement story, we ordered new personalized M&Ms as guest favors from our big day.
Some other details I was excited about:
- My favorite flowers are Gerbera Daisies and my mom and I decided to do the flower ourselves. My mom spent all summer taking ‘lessons’ from a florist she knows well and she arrived 3 days early so that we had time to make the bouquets
- I am an athlete and didn’t want to wear heals (much to my mom’s chagrin); I found these Kate Spade Keds that were sparkly and matched my dress PERFECTLY – they were just totally ME so I was very excited to wear them
- Our officiant is my dad’s cousin who’s father married my dad and mom over 30 years ago so it was meaningful to have him officiating our wedding; his name is Nathan Byrd and he’s the Baptist campus minister at the University of Georgia
- We had 99 guests – all but two were from out of town since I’m from Kansas City and Sam is from Connecticut
- Sam’s grandmother is very special to him so he walked her down the aisle and also had a dance with her as his mother passed away a few years ago
- We got ready at The Jefferson Hotel – a famous hotel in Richmond. It was meaningful to us because Sam and I met at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Richmond – and the University of Virginia was founded by Thomas Jefferson!
Summers & Sam
September 3, 2016
Gown: Powell by Kate McDonald
Photography: Kim Stockwell Photography
Day of Planner: Sammy Early
Violinist: Jennifer Johnson